University City Regional Library invites readers young and old to celebrate its 25 anniversary on Thursday with music, storytelling, dance and a book signing and talk featuring author Gail Martin. Learn more about the day’s activities and the special qualities that make our branch one of the system’s most popular!
The day will begin with special storytimes and face painting, followed by an author talk with Gail Martin. The celebration continues in the afternoon with refreshments and music.
Other attractions throughout the day include hourly raffles, professional storytellers and a technology “petting zoo.”
University City Regional’s many programs
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library’s vision is to “improve lives and build a stronger community.” The University City Regional Library supports this vision by regularly hosting programs for children, teens and adults with hundreds of participants attending each week.
The Library encourages literacy and learning from infancy to seniors through storytimes, Reading Buddies, ESL tutoring for adults, homework help for students, book clubs and one-on-one technology tutoring.
The Library also visits the community to teach technology classes for seniors, which help close the digital divide.
Staff present Book Talks each month at assisted living and nursing care facilities. Library staff also present programs and share information at local schools and other community venues such as EpicFest, Kid’s Fest, Wine Fest, Verse & Vino and the YMCA.
Small wonder that our branch has more than 20,000 visitors monthly!
About the library
University City Regional Library is at 301 E. WT Harris Boulevard.
- For library hours, programs and other library information, click here.
- To learn more about the library and the 25th anniversary celebration, click here.
25th anniversary events
Here is Thursday’s schedule of anniversary events.
- 10-11 a.m. – Storytelling with Mona and Amanda / Face painting with Hayley / Drama Games with Lonna
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Afro House Dance with Lateefah Thompson
- 12-1 p.m. – Book talk and signing with Gail Martin
- 1-2 p.m. – Cake!
- 2-4 p.m. – Caricatures with Lena Janell
- 2-4 p.m. – Face painting with Hayley
- 4-5 p.m. – Music and storytelling with Malcolm
- 5-6 p.m. – Storytelling with Elisha “Mother” Minter
Throughout the day, you can also enjoy a Digital Petting Zoo, raffle drawings, vendors and everything else this great library has to offer!